Sunday, October 30, 2011

Review: Mountain Rose Herbs Argan Oil

Review:  Mountain Rose Herbs Argan Oil

Goal: Finding a high-quality yet affordable argan oil

This is replacing: Acure Organics Argan Oil

Fair Trade: Yes

Certified Organic: Yes  (through the OTCO)

Company Information: Mountain Rose Herbs is perhaps one of my all-time favorite companies. Besides having excellent products and customer service, their business ethics are inspiring. It would take me pages to describe all the fantastic things this company does for its employees, customers, community, and environment. So instead, here’s a link describing their business practices: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/about/guiding.php Just wow.

Their Description: “This rare and exquisite oil is meticulously expeller pressed from the fruit kernels of the Moroccan Argan tree. Argan oil is rich in natural tocopherols (vitamin E) and phenols, carotenes, squalene and fatty acids, making it a truly luxurious oil. Argan oil absorbs quickly and is often used in skin, nail and hair treatments to deliver deep hydration, strengthen brittle hair and nails, and prevent/reduce stretch marks.”

Ingredients: 100% pure argan oil

Price: Here’s the beautiful part… 4oz $17 (that’s $4.25 per ounce!), 8oz $29, 16 oz $49

Price Comparisons: Kahina Giving Beauty $36 per ounce, Acure Organics $29 per ounce… need I go on?

Texture: light-weight oil, absorbs quickly (even with my oily skin)

Scent: somewhat strong earthy scent. I don’t like the smell at all, but I don’t smell it while it’s on my skin so it’s not a big problem for me

Packaging: I got the 4 oz size container because I didn’t think I’d be able to go through a larger size before it expires. The 4 oz container is a dark amber glass color jar and pretty label. The bottle is a screw cap. (Quick Tip: To keep oils at their most potent, it’s a good idea to store them in cool, dark places and try to limit their exposure to air. Because of this, I bought a one ounce cobalt blue glass bottle with dropper [available from www.mountainroseherbs.com for $1.50 or www.sunburstbottle.com for $1.00] and transferred some of the oil into that. Now I have a smaller container for my medicine cabinet and the ability to get the precise amount of oil I use per application.)

Application: 2-3 drops for my face (I blend the oil into my moisturizer on my hand and then apply to face). 2-3 drops for my hair which I apply to my hands and then run through the ends of my hair after a shower. 1-2 drops for my cuticles. 1-2 drops for my lips. 3-5 drops for my body lotion.

Product used for: 4 months

Can be purchased at: www.mountainroseherbs.com (under their product tab, go to the “carrier oils” section)

Loved: Let me take you on a journey… my quest to find the holy argan oil. I first experienced its small miracles with the Acure Orgaincs Argan Oil product. I really loved it and still absolutely recommend it. However, I admit I only bought the Acure one because it was the cheapest (but still high-quality) product that I could find (and I was buying a bunch of other Acure Organics skin care goodies at the same time). Then one day a couple months ago I saw that Mountain Rose Herbs finally started to carry the oil (as I’ve stated I have a small obsession with this company and I’d been hoping that they would carry it for ages). So not only did they have it, but then they were selling it for a beautifully low price! For my frugal, college student soul, this was simply awesome. It arrived and not only was priced fantastically, but it also works better than the Acure product! The texture is lighter, the color is darker (perhaps because it is better preserved in the dark glass better as opposed to Acure’s clear glass?), and it seems to absorb into my skin faster.

Why argan oil? Well argan oil is one crazy multi-tasking workhorse. I use to be a product junkie, but I became frustrated by how expensive all my assorted products were and by my shrinking cabinet and vanity space from various bottles and jars. So instead of a bunch of separate creams and serums for specific problems, I have just one grand over-achiever. Argan oil can be used alone or added to just about anything for the skin, hair, and nails. It’s extremely effective yet gentle on even the most sensitive skin (believe me I know!). It promotes healing and can help fade scars, stretch marks, and discolorations. I’ve used it for all of the above and saw improvement on all fronts but most especially on dark spots from old acne scars. It’s fantastic at moisturizing without being greasy. I have very oily skin, yet this seems to help my skin produce less oil. (It’s bizarre and may seem counter-intuitive in the skincare age of oil-haters but trust me on this one). It also helped repair my brittle, short nails; they now grow faster and stronger. I have damaged, long curly hair, and it has really helped with keeping the ends soft and healthy. Also, I’ll add a little to my lips at night before bed, and I wake up with much softer lips (NOTE: this product is not intended for internal use so I’m not all together certain that that is 100% safe. However, I use only one drop and don’t lick my lips or anything. Just thought that y’all should know). Added to any facial or body lotion and it bumps up performance. It’s just fantastic. I can’t recommend this highly enough!!!

Hated: the smell. I really wish I could find a better way to describe it, other than just earthy-in-a-bad-way. Now again, I only really smell it for a second and then it’s gone, so it’s not a terribly big deal. Also, I do not apply this to the eye area. I tried and it resulted in milia. Now to be fair, I’ve yet to find any product that does not have this result when applied to my eye area (also it was never advertised to be good for that area. That was the result of my own curiosity). I have one other negative: the shipping. This is the one downside to Mountain Rose Herbs that I can think of. The shipping to the East Coast (they are centered in Oregon) is pretty expensive and takes a long time. Now that may be partially UPS, but it’s very frustrating. The nice thing though is that every order I’ve ever made to Mountain Rose Herbs has come lovingly packaged. Every glass item is individually bubble wrap and taped, all liquids are securely sealed, and then there is packaging paper to keep everything from moving around.

Overall Rating:  5/5 This is my If-I-could-only-have-one-product product J


This product was purchased with my own money. I have no affiliation with this company (now an obsession with them? Perhaps ;) My reviews are my honest opinion. Image from www.mountainroseherbs.com. Please leave comments, comparisons, or questions. Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. I love Mountain Rose Herbs too! Is there an East Coast equivalent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca! Thank you for your comment! I have yet to find an East Coast equivalent unfortunately. As much as I love Mountain Rose Herbs, I live on East Coast as well and the shipping costs are brutal (not to mention the distance and fuel needed to travel so far).

    Depending on what you are ordering, try looking at local stores or special interest communities. For instance, if it's mostly herbs you need, get involved with some local gardening groups or at least contact them. They may be able to connect you to local garden centers, gardeners, etc. You can also try online resources like Meetup, Facebook, etc. for finding groups and contacts.

    Hope this helps! And if you find an equivalent, please share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this review because I am planning on purchasing their argan oil :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After several years as a grower for MRH and a customer, I have had a shocking and horrible experience with Mountain Rose Herbs and their distributor, Life Source in Salem Oregon. I purchased bulk 1 gallon of almond oil from Life Source. They kept forgetting my order so it took over a month to get the order placed. When I received the order it was very apparent that something was wrong with the almond oil. The seal was not there, just white tape around the lid. I dispense it to my cats who normally cannot get enough almond oil. It is good for their coats and digestive. I also use it on my hair and my entire body. My cats would have nothing to do with the new almond oil I purchased from Life Source. The oil also did not absorb into my skin. I did not use it on my face or hair. It had Mountain Rose Herb's label on it. My husband returned the bottle for me and we were given another 1 gallon bottle of MRH almond oil. I did use this bottle on my hair and body. My hair was 3 feet long. Now it is much shorter and looks like a child took paper scissors to it! Neither bottle ever smelled like almond oil and the second bottle also did not have the safety seal - only the white tape around the lid. The cat's had nothing to do with the replacement bottle either. Jeff at Life Source offered to help me with the damage to my hair, then he became real quiet. MRH gave me a $120.00 credit but I do believe Life Source sold the bottle to me for $160.00 - or they quoted that. I paid cash and did not keep the receipt because I have never had an issue like this before. I need to know what was wrong with the almond oil. Mountain Rose Herb response to the damage I have sustained is posted in the email I got from them today. Some of my hair is 1" long now. How would you feel about being dehumanized by MRH and their supplier??


    My response to the below email from MRH:

    I have no negative past with Mountain Rose Herbs and Shawn has visited our farm and used pictures of our plants in your brochures. I have sold some of the best borage Shawn has ever seen (I still have his emails!) to Mountain Rose Herbs on contract. Are you sure you do not have me mixed up with someone else?? I have some of the product here and can get it analyzed, but I have no reason to believe that MRH would respond anything other than above reproach. I need to know what was the issue with that oil? I have very damaged hair as a result of it. Sincerely, J


    From: Office Manager officemanager@mountainroseherbs.com
    To: el
    Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:42 AM
    Subject: Greetings

    Greetings J,

    Your credit card was issued a refund for $120.00 on July 18th 2013. Generally if a customer purchases one of our products through another company we ask that any refunds or exchanges happen through that business, however since we have a long time relationship with you and because of the sensitive nature of this issue we decided to go against our policy and issue you a refund, we have considered this returns case closed. After reviewing your account with us the decision was made by upper management to close your account due to past interactions with you and our staff members. Unfortunately Mountain Rose Herbs will not be able to supply you with your herbal needs, please seek your business elsewhere, thank you for your understanding.

    Best wishes,

    Cassie Pointer | Office Manager
    officemanager@mountainroseherbs.com
    __________________

    Mountain Rose Herbs
    PO Box 50220
    Eugene, OR 97405
    P/800/879.3337 Ext 131- F/510/217.4012
    www.mountainroseherbs.com
    http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/emailtemplates/footerimage.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I buy Herb Seeds Online From Kraft Seeds for grow BASIL THAI HERB (SIAM QUEEN) from seed. Kraft Seeds have lot of variety of herb seeds Winter Vegetable Seeds, Summer Vegetable Seeds and Flower Seeds.
    More Information Visit Here :
    http://www.kraftseeds.com/herb-seeds

    ReplyDelete
  6. argon oil most moisturizing effect on skin we can use argon oil most moisturizing effect on skin we can use In medicine.more information here PuraDorOil.Com

    ReplyDelete